Fill a large hole in the garden !!

I don't want to be a total knob but you don't sound like you have attempted anything like this and wildly underestimate the work involved. As such i think it's not a great idea to be recommending it in such a casual manner.

Despite saying in such a throw away manner

Yup, about 90 for loose, moist soil.

I don't believe that you had even calculated or consider the tonnage required.

That's why i made the insane comment. You can send me a large slice of humble pie if i am wrong and sorry to be confrontational.

I was only recommending a mini-digger if they had re-profiling work they could do in order to generate some on site spoil

I've never shifted that much spoil by hand, no! I don't mean to sound like it's the easiest thing in the world, it's not, it's a bloody stupid idea, but if you want it filled and have no access, how else do you do it, other than have a conveyor system as described above? My 90 tonne figure is based on 1.4x cubic capacity, which is a good average for loose, moist soil. If you want to compact it all into the hole it'll be more obviously.

At least this has highlighted why capping it off is the smart way to go! ;)

Sponsored Links
I inherited a similar problem moving into my house, except the side access was a little more easier to get materials through. (although im still not full up yet) My pond was 7 meters long by 2,5 meters wide and 1.5 meters deep. It was build with concrete blocks around the edge with sand on the base.

I ripped out the liners and knocked all the blocks out with a big hammer drill thing i got from cpc.co.uk for about 40quid and a sledge hammer. I left the smashed up blocks in the bottom of the pond. Then I chucked in a load of dirt I got from bloke up the road from gumtree and managed to get 15 rubble sacks in the car for 3 runs (no suspension) This too care of about a a 3rd of the hole.

then the neighbour started building and extension, and I had about 20 barrow loads of rubble out of his skip for nowt.

Then another neighbour was leveling off his garden to make way for decking and sheds etc and as a favour I let him wheel round about 30-40 barrows of dirt to the hole. Now its about a foot off of being full up.

Now im considering puting a hard standin and drive way in the side and possibly a rainwater tank which should then give me some more spare dirt to fill the hole.

I know the nobber before me used the dirt from the pond make the patio in the house as the slabs are all over the place now.....

But i agree about the cost getting what I call dirt and the agregate companies call top soil its mega bucks. about 30-40 per ton delivered.

If you are intending doing patios driveways etc in the future you could find you have a cheaper alternative to a skip sitting at the end of your garden.

As far as moving loads of materials by hand 3 of us moved about 50 tons with a transit tipper (not in one run) from next to the footings on one site, into situation (terracing a sloped garden project) in a long day, with very sore hands and aching bones...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back