Filler cracking in structural columns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have an old property which has an integral portico, with 3 pitch-pine columns supporting the structure above.

I commissioned a structural engineer to inspect the portico and he is very happy with the condition of the columns and has given me a report to confirm.

There are some cracks along the grain of the columns.

We plan to stain the columns and beams and we’ve done test patches with different fillers and different stains and have results we are happy with.

However, every filler we have tested has cracked within 24-36 hours. The fillers we liked were Brummer Green Label Exterior Pine, and Ronseal Multipurpose Natural. Both stain fine.

I’ve monitored the cracks in the columns over a few weeks and they don’t appear to be getting any bigger, but the filler cracks every time without fail.

Is this simply a fact of life with structural timber columns? Are they just expanding and contracting with the weight above, meaning filling the cracks is pointless?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back