Filler for imperfect joint between two MDF pieces?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to prep a bookcase where I need a flush finish between two pieces of MDF (the vertical of a shelf and a 'face frame' piece.

They are attached together with grip adhesive and brad nails, but not as tightly as I might like. Some of them are pretty flush, others have a 0.5mm gap and sometimes misaligned by 0.5mm as well. I've attached a couple of pics.

I think I need to sand them flush, then fill, then sand again. Really grateful for any advice on what approach to take and products to use.

I have some Upol Easy 1 filler, some Morrells fine wood filler and some Repair Care #1 and #4 filler and some Isomat flexible caulk.

I've used the Repair Care #4 to good effect with other things; but it is a lot of work to grind out the 5mm x 5mm channel which is the minimum recommended for it. It will also cost a lot as I've got about 20m worth of this line to hide. Repair Care #1 could be an option, but again, quite pricey - but tbh, I'm up for whatever it takes to get the job done (other than rebuilding the whole thing!)

Unfortunately making the line a 'feature' isn't an option.

Would sanding flat, then pressing Upol firmly into the joint, then sanding again be destined to fail? Or is a small crack just not enough to hold the filler? Would the glazing putty be a good bet after sanding?

Pics attached. Grateful for any advice!

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.01.49 (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 16.01.49.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Wood glue would have been a better choice , clamped and pinned would of given you a tight finish

Just use the wood filler you have and sand it down , MDF is very easy to sand anyway and 0.5mm will be gone in no time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back