Filler loop valve causing lack of hot water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had our annual boiler inspection (unvented cylinder), and we mentioned to the bloke that we've had an ongoing issue with the CH working normally, but no hot water through the taps unless we run the immersion.

He had a look, did a test that involved a loud noise in the pipework (I wasn't at home at the time, so didn't see what he did, I'm just going by what I was told), and said that the problem wasn't with any of the zone valves (as I'd thought), it was with the filler loop.

Could a faulty filler loop cause that problem - CH working normally, but no hot water? I don't have any reason to doubt him, but I wasn't at home to ask questions about exactly why the filler loop would be the culprit. Just trying to understand how the hot water works!

Sponsored Links
Boiler is Worcester 14/19 CBi, cylinder is this one:

WuaVMtC.jpg

Get a different engineer.

Your cylinder also needs attention looking at the picture. Although, depending on how long that red light has been on, it might be too late.

Sponsored Links
That's an old photo, and the red light isn't actually on.

And he was just the guy come to do the annual safety inspection. He wasn't an engineer called in to diagnose the problem.

If you set the hot water to come on, does the zone valve open, and the pipe the other side of it get hot.

He had a look, did a test that involved a loud noise in the pipework (I wasn't at home at the time, so didn't see what he did, I'm just going by what I was told), !
That'll be the Hammer Test - what we used to do when changing the old ballvalves in roof cisterns. Such a quick job that it was best to sit in the loft for 15 minutes tapping the pipes :sneaky:

But the hammer test just checks the pump is stuck, and the central heating was working, so this bloke - who's supposed to be making sure the unveted cylinders okay - doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Or am I missing something. Is there another hammer test by any chance.

Is the cylinder higher than any of the radiators? Are the radiators upstairs warm at the top too? What is the pressure guage on the boiler saying?
Maybe the system needs topping up and he can't due to a faulty filling loop, and the cylinder is higher than the head of water. Sounds pretty far fetched, but it's the best I can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back