filling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have just bought a house it was built in 1984, we are decorating every room but in places the plaster is poor. I have noticed there are lines down the walls in places where plasterbords join and also where they were orginally taped at the joins the tape is coming away with plaster in neat strips. Round the tops of the walls where they meet the ceilings there are approx inch thick lines. How should i tackle these problems and what materials should i use etc :?:

many thanks

Sponsored Links
1/ Rip out any loose paper tape. 2/ Check all gyproc for any movement and if any movement, then find jiosts and screw in galvanized drywall screws at places of movement. 3/ Buy paper tape and ready mixed gyproc jiont cement and PVA from Builders Merchants. 4/ Then apply a thinned down PVA coating (PVA 1/5 WATER) on rpped out areas. 5/ Then apply paper tapes over previously ripped out areas with gyproc jiont cement and leave to dry 6/ Then apply a second coat of gyproc jiont cement on previously applied paper tapes and leave to dry 7/ Then apply a third coat of gyproc jiont cement on previously repaired paper tapes on walls only (i.e. internal corners do not need third coat) 8/ then rub down 9/ Then give the dried out jiont cement areas a coat of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion thinned down by 25% of water. 10/ Then coat walls with an unthinned coat of emulsion. NB You will have to thin down with water the ready mixed gyproc jiont cement for applying the paper tapes and for final coat.

What he said...

Plus..the inch line around the ceiling/wall line...are you ceilings artexed by any chance?

Sponsored Links
martinseal said:
thanks for your response, yes they are artexed why did you ask?

Because sometimes there is a layer of artex left being on the wall..normally smoothed but possibly never completely removed by the artexer..if theres any movement in the ceiling and the ceiling seomtimes it can break away from the wall...while still remaining stuck to the ceiling..this may be whats causing the problem you describe around the ceiling line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back