Filling condensate trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it common to fill the condensate trap by pouring water down the flue before fitting the flue. Think most manufacturers ask for it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
but it only takes one idiot to pour water into the wrong part of the flue to completely feck the boiler up, have seen it done.

He may be worried about the competence of the GSR as pouring water into a boiler flue does, to the un-educated, seem a strange thing to do.

You don't know the OP and his numerous other posts do you BG?

Have a look at previous posts of his and you will see he is a serial offender of asking GSR questions without knowledge which leads us to believe he is a plumber/handyman carrying out illegal gas works while trying to glean knowledge from here and most likely other sources too.

The information in his OP is also wrong as most manufacturers do not request what he proposed. On fact I'm yet to come across one so would be happy for the OP to show me MI's stating this.

Jon

You don't know the OP and his numerous other posts do you BG?

From the threads he has started it seems he may be a trainee working with a GSR and studying for his GasSafe ticket. Maybe his "trainer" is not a good trainer and the OP has come here for second ( and third ?) opinions.

Don't matter a feck BG we ain't allowed to give out that sort of info cause the trap is part of the flue,and if we do were breaking the law.Bob

cause the trap is part of the flue,

Out of interest, The condensate drain is often considered to be "part of the flue".

When the condensate pipe is plumbed directly into a waste pipe how does a GSR determine where the condensate pipe changes from being "part of the flue" to being part of the waste pipe work.

Y

The information in his OP is also wrong as most manufacturers do not request what he proposed. On fact I'm yet to come across one so would be happy for the OP to show me MI's stating this.

Jon

Baxi (my boiler of choice on the rare occasion I now fit boilers) certainly state so. I have a vague memory that Worcester did, but not fitted one for 10 years.
Ian is correct, pour it down the wrong place, and it could be an expensive error :)

Aqua: Bernie, as usual, seems intent on arguing his pointless comments to the bitter end. If any of the scenarios had a basis, the OP would have told us so, long ago.

From the threads he has started it seems he may be a trainee working with a GSR and studying for his GasSafe ticket. Maybe his "trainer" is not a good trainer and the OP has come here for second ( and third ?) opinions.
That is correct, we fit ideals it says the boiler condensate trap should be filled before commissioning the boiler.

There should be an air break.
And if there isn't an air break between boiler and the junction of condensate pipe / waste pipe ?

Any air pressure in the waste system pipe work will affect the trap on the boiler. Hence the condition of the waste pipe, soil stack and soil stack venting will have an effect on the trap on the boiler. Hence the question where does the flue become waste and the "legal" responsibility change from GasSafe to ordinary plumbing

I do accept that if the trap was sucked dry then the products of combustion would be dispersed into the soil stack and thus present little or no hazard, ( providing it was combustion and not unburnt gas )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back