Filling drywall gaps (medium size) DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the past I have used decorator's caulk to fill in gaps up to around 5mm, and that is not a problem.

I have also put aluminium mesh behind plasterboards then used polyfilla to fill big holes, and that is not a problem either.

But the problem is now I have some gaps that are around 20-30mm wide. I can't use decorator's caulk because it has nowhere to bond - I tried building layers of it up daily but it will take ages and the finish isn't remotely great. I can't use polyfilla either because there is nothing it can grip on, and that there is not enough space to put mesh behind.

So what is the best way to fill these gaps in please? Bear in mind I am only a DIYer, and I cannot do proper plastering.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is a number of methods to repair this type of hole.
You can cut a piece of plasterboard that will feed through the hole. It needs to be cut so it is allowed to go through the hole cutting slightly narrower will help this but also needs to overlap two of the edges. So narrower but longer 60mm longer should do the trick.
Then you need something to keep a grip of the this piece of board a screw mid way through the length should do it, some feed a piece of string through a hole in it and knot it up.
Then feed the plasterboard through the hole, keeping hold of the screw/string. Have some no nails. gripfiller or board adhesive and stick the thing to the inside of the wall, pulling the screw/string back so you get good contact between the wall and the board and leave it to set. You can then remove screw/ cut off the string, then you can fill out.

If the holes were bigger
You can fix some wood behind the hole. The size of the hole will depend on the number of wood strips you would need.
The timber will need to be of a size that will allow you feed it through the hole and will also allow the timber to overlap the the edges of the hole by about 30mm both wall and hole.
Once inside the void, the timber can then be screwed up to you existing wall thats why you need the overlap, there should now be an overlap in the hole area to, that can also be screwed on to. This will allow you to cut a piece of plasterboard for the hole and screw that up. The joints should then be taped, ready for you to fill out or skim.
If the holes are round it is normally best to cut them square, it helps when cutting the plasterboard for the hole repair. easier to cut square/rectangular board than round/oval ones.

Sponsored Links
i would go for prentice boys second method just cut the holes bigger first then batten, peice of plasterboard and tape and fill to finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back