Filling gap between board and ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently building an ensuite and about to start finishing the plasterboard.

I bought tapered edge plasterboard sheets and planned to tape/joint them myseld.

Due to my inexperience and the fact that I had some tricky angles due to my room having eaves, not all the boards are hard up against the ceilings, what should I use to fill these gaps?

I bought a tub of ready mixed repair plaster for some other jobs, but i'm wondering if these bits should have something more flexible?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't fill up the gaps with ready mix repair plaster. You need something that will set (go off) fairly quick. Use powdered Gyproc filler or similar if the gaps are not too big.... Bonding plaster would also do, especially for bigger gaps,,,,, and for "even bigger gaps", use pieces of plasterboard. You will be taping over it anyway.

Roughcaster.

my advice exactly rough, can't beat 'easifill' or similar for filling in but like you say depends on size of hole.

cheers for the tips, I'll check that stuff out.

The gaps are less than 1cm i reckon.

do you still tape the top edge even though there is no taper?

Sponsored Links
Yep Muzz, tape all around the ceiling line. There is never a tapered edge on the ends of a sheet anyway, only the sides.
Put the tape on, using the filler,, so half is bedded onto the ceiling, the other half bedded onto the wall. It's also a good idea to put a seperate piece of tape over any sizeable filled up gap/s first,, and then put the tape on around the ceiling line.
I forgot to say,,,,, fill up the gaps first and let them set, before putting any tapes on. You probably knew that, but i thought i'd just mention it.

Roughcaster.

just as a point of interest, you can now get boards with 4 tapered edges! never sen or used them mind but may be worth logging in the memory banks.

suspect they're a little more expensive though.

think they're a knauf product

Thanks for that TM. It's about time too then, nothing worse than trying to tape/feather away where butt ends meet. ;)

Roughcaster

What a load of messing about :rolleyes: Rather than trying to hide all that filler & tape under yet more filler, just plaster it properly; it'll be quicker & will look a whole lot better ;). I hate tape & feather but I guess that may be obvious :LOL:

What a load of messing about :rolleyes: Rather than trying to hide all that filler & tape under yet more filler, just plaster it properly; it'll be quicker & will look a whole lot better ;).
I hate tape & feather but I guess that may be obvious :LOL:

So do i Rich'. ;) I should have said plaster and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster

But when someone can't plaster, it's more cost effective to do the labour themselves in the form of tape 'n' joint.

But, find a plasterer to work for cash, £150 later (less if you can get mates rates) and you'll have a room finished for painting. :)

cheers for the additional info.

my plan was to have a go myself as I like diy (and saving cash) but if i end up with a poor finish I'll get a pro in to skim over and finish it nicely.

it's not a big room, only about 2m square and a decent percentage will be tiled over as well.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back