Filling gaps in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've plasterboarded my ceiling and walls and was just wanting to know views on the best approach to filling in the gaps between where two boards have butted up together and also where the plasterboard screws have gone (they're all just beneath the surface of the plasterboard).

This is all new to me but there's no better way to learn than having a crack at it and I have bought some self-adhesive mesh tape for the butted joins.
My question on this is should I use some kind of jointing compound underneath (actually filling the gaps) and then use the self-adhesive over the top?

Also, should this method be used with where the screws are? Should I fill with just jointing compound or just leave it and the plaster will cover it over?

Thanks and appreciate all advice!

J

Sponsored Links
As long as the gaps in the plasterboard are minimal, then there's no more for you to do. The plasterer will apply scrim tape (the self adhesive stuff you've got) to the joints, and the plaster will cover the gaps, and the heads of the screws. But don't apply the tape now, or the adhesive will have gone off by the time it gets plastered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back