filling holes in decorative stone, resin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a decorative stone pillar thing above a bay window which is damaged in places and at the moment covered in flaking paint, apart from the obvious damage it's reasonably sound (see pic). I'm just wondering what the best way of repairing this would be apart from getting new stone cut, would knife grade resin (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Stucco-Transparent-Repair-Resin-Knife-Grade-1L-/130472311024) be any good or what about bog standard exterior filler? I'm actually intending to repaint this thing with a breathable paint, can resin be painted with masonry paint?

I'd appreciate any ideas, cheers, Jon

//media.diynot.com/163000_162941_45636_13600623_thumb.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I cant enlarge the pic, perhaps you could do something with it?
Do pics from outside below and in close-up.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
1. You probably have cramp irons holding the rail sections together. They will rust, expand and eventually blow the stonework.
2. The whole thing appears ramshackle and degrading - is it worth saving or replacing?
3. Whatever compound you apply, to attempt a repair, will most probably blow off in time. National Trust renovation experts and their ilk could advise you on stone repair. Perhaps someone in your street has remedied a similar situation?
4. Another issue is the lead flat that is not dressed into the bottom rail.
If this is sound i'd be surprised. It too will leak in time.
5. Depending on the variables, costs, public safety etc. then replacing would be the best solution. Perhaps a re-build using any sound stonework?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back