Filling point for additives - sealed CH system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced a radiator on my sealed system which involved draining and refilling the system. I need to top up the rust inhibitor but can't work out how to get it into the system!

What will a filling point look like and where is it likely to be?

Sponsored Links
some additives you can insert through the radiator bleed valve (i read that on here)

You will need to drain some water first from one of your rads.
Take off one of the chrome nuts at the side top of rad and insert a compression elbow.
Put a small piece of copper into fitting and put a small funnel in the pipe.
Pour slowly and then refill /represuurise systm.
Jobs a good un :)

While my system was empty I got a length of hose and a funnel, connected the hose to the drain valve and then lifted the funnel 4' above it, opened the valve, poured in the inhibitor and closed the valve. Then refilled the system. Going through the top of the rad is OK but this is an alternative.

Sponsored Links
IanDB said:
While my system was empty I got a length of hose and a funnel, connected the hose to the drain valve and then lifted the funnel 4' above it, opened the valve, poured in the inhibitor and closed the valve.
The drain valve is the lowest point in the system so the inhibitor would have to travel uphill to get in the system :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Are you sure the inhibitor did not come out of the hose ;)

and then lifted the funnel 4' above it

Gravity works quite well.

I didn't have a small bit of pipe to get into the top of the rad at the time so this way was easier for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back