Filling the header tank makes a foghorn noise

You should of fitted a new float valve in the cold water storage tank.

Andy
I did...read up! ;) It didn't cure it though. TBH the old one wasn't that old - it was a Part 1 though. But it had a blue float - this is important - and I think that is not at all attractive for a sealed cold water tank so I replaced that with orange. So when I next open the tank up in 10 years time, I'll be greeted with an attractive orange ball. lovely.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Expansion tank or cold water storage tank?

Do you have 2 tanks in your loft, one big and one small?

Andy

Hi all - months on and the noise has not gone away and with recent changes to my central heating system (new rads), every time the tank starts to fill the hammer starts. Examples are if I lock off a rad, drain and then refill or even something as simple as cleaning out the magna clean repeatedly.

Talking to a plumber he suggested this is hammer action.

I noticed that when the noise is being made, it can be minimised by physically holding the pipes in the above picture, stopping the touchpoints with the wall etc so maybe this is a hammer when the header tank gets to a certain level. Also, flushing toilets dissipates the noise temporarily.

The vertical pipe with the stopcock is the cold water feed that I think also gets diverted for the boiler and hot water tank just to the left of the picture. So... what can I do about this? Fit a hammer arrestor to one of the pipes above?

Last edited:
Did some research and I am thinking of fitting a PEGLER PEG62 WATER HAMMER ARRESTOR to the vertical pipe on the right of the image. I might even take the opportunity to fit some pipe clips!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back