filthy fibre glass insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have glass fibre insulation is absolutely filthy - full of dust, soot etc.. I intend boarding over it - can anyone advise if it is necessary to replace the filthy insulation first? Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
No need but to board your loft it would be best to use 3"x1" in opposite direction of the ceiling joists then chipboard on top. This will give you a cross air-flow and no need to notch out the joists for cable/pipe etc.

clueless1 said:
I have glass fibre insulation is absolutely filthy - full of dust, soot etc.. I intend boarding over it - can anyone advise if it is necessary to replace the filthy insulation first? Thank you :)
do not board over insulation has this will make the loft space very cold in winter and very hot in summer, Remove the insulation and put it in to the roof, us existing or new insulation. Chris :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
do not board over insulation has this will make the loft space very cold in winter and very hot in summer, Remove the insulation and put it in to the roof, us existing or new insulation

This is true. The downside of moving the insulation up into the roof is that the area will be greater and so, all other things being equal, your heating bill will go up.

It all depends on what you want the boarded out space for. If it's for storage only and you'll only be going up there once in a blue moon you might as well leave the insulation where it is. If you're going to make regular trips up and down that ladder - and maybe start using it as a workshop/study/playroom/brewery - then go with chrisdwallace.

Hint: If you're putting a velux window up there you, or somebody else, WILL end up using it as a room.

Masona's idea for an insulated floor is a good one (though I would use 3" x 2" - less likely to fall over sideways). These will help spread the load over the existing joists and you can also top up your insulation thickness. Note that on a typical pitched roof raising the floor by an inch will cost you about 1.3" of floor space at each sloping wall.

The loft will be used for storage only and I have actually managed to carve out notches in the tongues / grooves of the loft boarding to accommodate wiring. Rather labour-intensive and requires a very accurate measuring device.... (in other words, make sure you look at your tape measure VERY carefully before recording measurements)!

I have boarded the centre of the loft and will replace the uncovered insulation under the sloping sides as the dust is so fine that any movement sends clouds of the choking stuff up.

Thank you all for your help.

An afterthought ---

Since the cables are VERY close to the surface, I STRONGLY recommend marking their positions on top of the boards. Today you know exactly where they are but think ahead. Will you still remember ten years from now - and will somebody who buys the house in the distant future have any idea what lurks just below the surface?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back