Unused Loft - how best to insulate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the very lucky position of having a large loft with nothing stored in it.
Glass fibre Insulation has been put down between the joists at floor level.
I have a very large air space above the insualtion and below the underside of the roof.
Should I add lots of additional insulation at floor level?
Can I use sheeps wool on top of glass fibre insulation or will I get condenstation at the interface?
Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Moths and vermin will be very happy in the wool. I suppose it is also flammable, unlike glass.

We had someone a while ago wanting to use wool, what's the attraction?

Thanks for your reply.
One advantage of wool is that it is completely natural and so suits my environmental standpoint.
I had not heard of problems with moths before though.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
John, of course you are right. However, from an environmental viewpoint processing and transportation from source to installation are also key elements in material selection as well as thermal performance.
Wool wins on these counts.
What is your experience in using Asbestos as loft insulation?

It used to be very popular round here, but all the people who fitted it seem to be dead.

:) Hi JohnD. Just came across this site and this message/forum board. I note Jerrywotsit never responded to your last comment!! I couldn't stop laughing - I'm in the process of building a log cabin for my daughter and am looking for the best way of insulating. I definitely will not use asbestos, nor wool. Am still laughing. Ann J

The other option I can think of is the polythene insulation sheet but again not good in a fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back