Finding out what pipes are what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of routing pipes for our boiler installation, i am routing all the pipes to within a foot of where the new boiler has been hung in the loft..

Got the DHW and cold feed into the loft from the bathroom..

When I took the hot water tank out of our bedroom there were 5 pipes running down through the cupboard, after dismantling the cupboard there was another 22mm pipe T'd to it which makes 1x 15mm (Cold feed) and 5x 22mm.

One of the 22mm's was the DHW and the other 4 i'm a bit confused about..

There are only 2 pipes coming from the boiler downstairs.

I blew down the pipes to see what's what, the first pipe is connected to the left pipe on the boiler, the second is connected to the right hand pipe..

The other two seem to be the flow and return for the radiators...

Is it normal for the 2 boiler pipes to run to the water storage tank, pump and various vales before then running back to the radiators?

As far as i can see i can simply remove pipes 1 and 2..

The picture is of the upstairs, the red square is the old boiler downstairs and the green square is the new boiler which is above in the loft..

Thanks!
Dean.

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily, you would have had:

Cold main riser (15mm)
Domestic cold coming down (22mm)
Domestic hot feed coming down, (22mm)
Hot water vent going up and over cistern(22mm)
CH feed (15mm)
CH vent (22mm).

these last two could have been linked in the past.

Exactly what you have now is anyone's guess - job number one of this type of project is work out what everything does before you take anything out,

I only put on the diagram what is still there not the pipes that were there..

there was another 2 pipes running beside them that would have been five and six, one was the hot to the taps (22mm) and the other was a cold feed (15mm).

Also not shown on the plan is the 5 pipes that went into the loft, the hot water storage tank, pump, 3 way valve and a thing labeled as an AERJEC..

Sponsored Links
Ok does it seem plausible that the original installer would run 2 pipes from the boiler in the route shown then back again?

Sure - why not? I run pipes randomly just for a laugh....

As I said... what you have now is largely irrelevant unless they were installed in sympathy to what you are aiming to achieve.

That we have no idea, and neither do you by the looks of things.

Hopefully your installer will be able to decipher it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back