Finding studs behind memberane / OSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of those things that frustrates the cr** out of me but I'm sure there's a super simple way.

I'm putting up a dormer - usual stuff: studwork, OSB, membrane, tile battens etc. Attaching the OSB - no probs, I can see/mark the studs. After the OSB is covered with membrane everything is obsured. Is there an easy way to find/mark out the stud locations through the membrane?

Laughable I know but I've been driving a screw, from the rear, parallel with a stud and feeling for it through the membrane.

Any help / pointers very appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Laughable I know but I've been driving a screw, from the rear, parallel with a stud and feeling for it through the membrane.

Any help / pointers very appreciated.

Assuming you have fixed the OSB with some sort of metal fixing....

Attach a rare earth magnet to a piece of cotton, or thin string, dangle it from the string and run it over the surface. It will be deflected by the fixings, the fixings are where your studs are. Once you find one, mark the spot, find more vertically above and below, mark them. From that, you should find the rest, approximately, by measurement,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back