Fire door regs - 1 exit allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time on here. I'm about to embark on a project to convert a brick outhouse which is currently just used for tool storage into a cinema room (been a long term goal!). I was discussing this on an AV forum and someone mentioned that I should check out the building regulations in regards to fire exits.

The room is 4.2m by 3.5m, it currently has a door which leads on to another door which leads straight into the garden. It also hasd a patio window and a standard window.

As part of the works I intend to cover up both the patio doors and the window (this is required to make the cinema room dark and soundproofed).

My question is - do I need to provide another form of exit other than the one door that will be available? Is there any way of circumnavagiting this if I install fire detection etc?

Any advise would be very useful. Many thanks. For pictures of the building please follow this link (to the AV forum post):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1671548-man-vs-cinema-room-new-post.html

Sponsored Links
You can't have a 'room off a room' which this would be. You must be able to escape into a lobby that leads directly to an exit (like a hallway). Or have a compliant escape window/door.

Thing is, and this would be Mr Building Controls response, is that if a fire occurred in the room that your cinema room was accessed off how would you escape from your cinema room? Even extra smoke alarms won't enable escape.

You could always fit a solid door, that solves the light issues and provides a means of escape. a heavy curtain will go some way to deadening the sound.

An outbuilding which is less than 30m^2 in floor area and either at least 1m from a boundary OR constructed from non combustable matirial is excempt from building regs so I belive you can do pritty much as you want.
As has been mentioned above, for your own safety it would be a good idea to replace the patio door with a solid flush external grade FD30 door, perhaps with sound deadening matirial stuck to the inside rather than bricking it up.

Hi all,

First time on here. I'm about to embark on a project to convert a brick outhouse which is currently just used for tool storage into a cinema room (been a long term goal!). I was discussing this on an AV forum and someone mentioned that I should check out the building regulations in regards to fire exits.

The room is 4.2m by 3.5m, it currently has a door which leads on to another door which leads straight into the garden. It also hasd a patio window and a standard window.

As part of the works I intend to cover up both the patio doors and the window (this is required to make the cinema room dark and soundproofed).

My question is - do I need to provide another form of exit other than the one door that will be available? Is there any way of circumnavagiting this if I install fire detection etc?

Any advise would be very useful. Many thanks. For pictures of the building please follow this link (to the AV forum post):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-building-diy/1671548-man-vs-cinema-room-new-post.html

Your post is a little confusing. You mention a door which leads to another door, however your drawings on the link just shows an outbuilding which is basically one room.

In which case I can't see what the issue is

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Your post is a little confusing. You mention a door which leads to another door, however your drawings on the link just shows an outbuilding which is basically one room.

In which case I can't see what the issue is

Yeah, my fault entirely - thats a plan of just the room,the door leads to another door which exits to garden (it's just not important for the cinema room design).

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate the information.

I guess whether I can legally do it or not...it wouldnt be particuarly sensible should the worst happen.

I think I'll look at converting the patio door to a standard one and just get a very think door for the soundproofing.

Ah OK, its separate from the house, I just speed read your original post and just looked at your drawings in your other thread. Anyway yes it is exempt from Building Regs though my comments regarding the escape still stand even though not enforceable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back