Fire Door - Town House - How Do I Get Them Back On????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently moved into a town house which has the regulation fire doors which automatically close behind you.

One of these was from the master bedroom and I removed it to paint it.

Now the time has come to put it back on and hence I have a problem.

I can't get the mechanism which closes the door back on. It is tightly up against the door and I can't get it away enough to get it screwed back to the frame.

Is there a trick to do doing this? There must be a way!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
I think you have a Perko closer.

Before removing the door you open it fullly and put a tack through the link of the chain nearest the door to stop it being pulled inside by its spring.

As you have presumably not done this :( hang the door back on its hinges.

Grab the plate of the closer with pliers or other tool and pull it out as far as you can. Have an accomplice put a tack in to prevent is going back in

Get as much out as you can.
With a bit of luck you will have enough to open the door slightly and screw the plate back onto the frame.

You will see that the plate can be moved along the chain a bit once you have the tension off. Make it as loose as possible while you fit it.

Once you have the door and the plate on, you can put a tack in the chain and reposition the plate to get the right tension.

Hello there,

Thanks for your speedy reply!!

Your right it is a Perko closer.

Regarding the tack though - I don't think this is possible. I have tried but the chain is so tight and there are basically no gaps in it I can't get anything through.

It has given be another idea though - using a mini clamp to hold the chain in place??

If you have an old fork, you can use that to hold it. the prongs will go ether side of the chain links.

Salem.

Sponsored Links
Use a claw hammer to pull it apart. The perko door closer do come with a plate chain holder, it like a flat plate with handle and a groove in the centre for locking the chain, lot of them are in the carpenter tool bag now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back