fireplace advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large exposed brick chimney breast (full room height x 3m wide) with an approx 650 h x 600w open fireplace with gas supply at floor level. The fire has been removed by previous owner. My plan is to raise the floor level of opening to leave a 'hole in the wall' effect, cover the brickwork with Hardiebacker screwed in and then tile over with 'rough' effect porcelain tiles to create a feature chimney breast.
I plan to install a shelf box burner http://www.artisan-design.co.uk/gasholeinwall.htm#Shelf
Firstly I will have the chimney checked by chimney sweep and then have gas supply raised to correct height by CORGI man.
I plan to brick up to the correct level , creating a hole for the burner to sit in. I will render all round the opening.
Does anyone have any advice, criticism, tips etc to add to this plan??
Would be very grateful for wisdom of anyone who has the experience of doing this before.....
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the idea sounds fine - i can't see any problems.

i do sort of part of the job now and again when i'm not wanting to use an existing brick fireplace - the only difference being i make the hole a feature as opposed to putting a fire in.

i use blockwork to raise the height. i then plaster around the internals and the breast.

my only thought is the tiles - these will be very personal and if you intend selling on at some point it would be better to plaster.

Thanks Jerry, input appreciated and I take your point on the 'individualistic' nature of the tiling. This is the tile I propose to use, pretty neutral colour, but I can see how it could date. http://www.worldsendtiles.co.uk/WET BROCHURE SMALL.pdf
I was also interested if anyone has any opinions on fire regulations etc that may be relevant?
Thanks for help............

i find i rip out a lot of "individual" fireplaces. i never seem to get near the plain ones - i think because people stay happy with them for longer.

in terms of regulations i've done a couple of recent posts which would help

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140191

the key thing i do is get my corgi man in up front - it's crucial to avoid difficulties ie cost later on.

Sponsored Links
Jerry, great thanks, srry I didn't notice you had replied until now.
Thanks again for the advice.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back