Fireplace attach to wall and seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I took off a marble surround from plaster wall and now want to reattach. Other works in house need my focus than pay for a whole new fireplace. The fire place is gas.

1. Between the plaster wall and marble back panel there is a gap. This is mostly sealed by what looks like cement or tile adhesive. However some of it needs replacing has fallen off and come loose since Is it cement or something else? Can I just add it to the area that needs it and keep the rest in.

2. The marble surround was fixed with lugs and screws of which are ripped out. Can the marble surround be attached with out screws and how so?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_143046281.jpg
    IMG_20201226_143046281.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 188
Sponsored Links
Re-instate the mechanical fixings

This is just one report of the dangers when heavy fire surrounds are not fitted properly

Quote from url="https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11309756.amp/"] HERE [/url]

A ‘SLIPSHOD’ fireplace fitter has been jailed for eight months after a six-year-old Beaconsfield girl was killed when a mantelpiece he had fitted fell on top of her.

Isabella Pritchard – known as Bella – suffered ‘catastrophic’ injuries and could not be saved by paramedics after the collapse of the limestone fireplace in her Beaconsfield family home in 2012.

Christopher Elmer pleaded guilty this month to a breach of health and safety in failing to prevent the tragedy and was slammed for his carelessness by judge John Reddihough at today’s sentencing.

The court heard how the 39-year-old had failed to properly secure the 226-kilo fireplace to the living room wall, using only adhesive and not the recommended mechanical fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back