Fireplace lintel question (again !)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a 1930's fire surround and would like to open up the fireplace for a small stove, however there doesn't appear to be a lintel. Is this the case or should there be one hidden somewhere? I can't believe the two arches of bricks would be strong enough on their own.
Can I remove the fire back and infill as is or do I need to first install a lintel and any advise on how to do this (how do you support the bricks above while a cutout is made and the new lintel fitted)?
Thanks.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
This question, with pics and details, has been answered a bunch of times in the last few weeks. Perhaps you will research some of the posts?

Yes Dann, I remembered reading something similar a while back so I spent quite a while looking for it or similar posts but couldn't find it (hence the 'again' in the title of my post) ! Perhaps I'm just not very good at searching or am searching with the wrong words. I'll have another go but in the mean time if anybody can post a link to a relevant thread it would be appreciated.
Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Ah yes, I've never even noticed that was there. Thanks ! I've found another post now that sort of helps answer my questions.
Cheers.
P.S. Perhaps I'll learn how to use this forum properly sometime soon !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back