Fireplace lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is more of a general question as I'm trying to understand how the brickwork & lintel in my 1930's house came to look as they do...

Ive just ripped out our fireplace as we want a new one. But after exposing the lintel I'm wondering what purpose the course of bricks underneath serve? I imagine they were placed there to simply 'fill in' to suit the current fireplace? Also, the lintel appears to be of breeze block material, so perhaps not original to my 1930's house? The end bricks that its resting on don't look symmetrical so I'm guessing everything has been shoved in there and then plastered over?

Anyone care to guess what work has been done here over the years please?

IMG_6006_zps009f63b1.jpg

IMG_6125_zpsd9138fe5.jpg

IMG_6127_zps3f107017.jpg

Sponsored Links
Welcome back - I see your starting to make progress - if you can call destruction that

It's not unusual for a gap between the structural lintel and the top of the fireplace. This permits access to finish off the fire/chimney throat etc and and the gap is then then closed off. Quite often you'll find a strange-shaped "mini-lintel" that forms part of the throat system fitted under the structural lintel.

The lintel itself may have been cast from "breeze" but there will/should be some steel reinforcing rods in it somewhere.

Thanks

Im not exactly sure what I want to replace it with, but if I can widen the fireplace then id like it to look like this perhaps...

Fireplace2_zpsf575e760.jpg

Although i doubt I can afford to get a wood burning stove fitted correctly as i know the lining can be expensive. It would have to be just decorative maybe?

If the flue is in good shape you won't need lining.

Lining is a scam imo. Whats being effectively done in many cases is an inferior product is being fitted inside a superior product.

Here in the province bc have started making homeowners fit liners in brand new, new build chimneys.

Its easy to get around though. Just delay the fitting off the stove and bc have to sign the build off as completed.

Sponsored Links
Lining is a scam imo.

Im genuinely of the same opinion. However, that flu runs up through my sons bedroom, so not sure if I'd take the risk. I guess if some of the brickwork behind the plaster isn't 100% then id find out the hard way. Both BC and my conscience have me over a barrel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back