Fireplace prep - woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Looking for some advice on some fireplace work.

I'm removing a gas fire and putting a work burner in. Looks like there are two lintels, a main one and a secondary lintel perhaps put in to close the gap for the gas fire. Was this common practise? Any issues in removing the lower lintel?

I can see a crack the full width of the lintel bar where the lower one has come away from the main. Planning on drilling it out level with the bricks so not to disturb anything else. There's nothing behind the lower lintel bar...

Reason behind removing it is the clearance above the wood burner as is would not be great for air circulation or access for flue cleaning, not to mention the general look of the fireplace.

Thanks in advance.

fireplace image with text.PNG
fireplace lintel.jpg

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
You see it a bit in houses built before the 1930s where the fireplace would have originally contained a cast iron range

It's commonly done. My last house had a large opening that had been made much smaller with bricks so that a gas fire could be fitted in. It all came out easily and we put in a wood burning stove

Sponsored Links
It's commonly done. My last house had a large opening that had been made much smaller with bricks so that a gas fire could be fitted in. It all came out easily and we put in a wood burning stove
Turns out it's only held in with plaster, managed to dig a gap round it with a Stanley. Nearly out now, going to leave it overnight and see if anything above it moves. Thanks for responding!

Attachments

• 20231123_183758.jpg
    20231123_183758.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 23

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back