No Lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In process of removing gas fire, and opening up fireplace to have a woodburner down the line. Pulled it all out, and a bit surprised to find no lintel! All I can see is a very small metal bar spanning brickwork, and also the mantel piece goes back about 3 inches into the brickwork, could this be structural?

Considering installing a lintel for piece of mind, anyone done similar? Span is 1.1m

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is it a older house ? If so it’s probably got a lintel higher up but I would still fit one at the new opening height

Yes its 120 years old, but no lintel in sight, taken chimney breast back to brick, see pic

Attachments

• 20200502_172926.jpg
    20200502_172926.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 168
You need the installation instructions for your selected wood burner before going any further.
You will need to be careful with the brickwork above the opening - dont touch it for the moment.
I assume that the fire surround can be removed - unless the mantle is acting as some kind of lintel for the brickwork above it?

Sponsored Links
i’ve done a few of these. that’s a cracker. sky’s the limit with an opening that big.
the brickwork looks as if it’s passed saving. it looks loose. the metal bar is what would have been installed originally from new while they waited for the fireplace to be built in. which would have supported the whole thing. about 6 courses up from the mantle theres a 1” timber in the wall . that’ll have to go if your having a woodburner. (personally i prefer multifuel stoves. you can keep them in all night with briquettes).
stick your head up and have a look where the breast starts to taper in , stick a concrete lintel just below that point.

As i said above, you will need the installation dimensions before doing anything else. A 75mm raised back hearth would add to the lintel height
but first the dimensions.

Last edited:
i’d take another 4” out of the floor.
and possibly brick the back up, depending on whether it’s an external wall or not.

OP,
just a thought, dont do any kind of hammering or chiselling anywhere on the c/breast or back hearth or front hearth - thing is, you could bring the loose brickwork above come crashing down. Just saying.
As always, measure twice cut once applies to c/breasts as well. So, before any work, get the dimensions and post them on here please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back