Steel angle for fireplace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys, I've recently opened up my fireplace inglenook ready for my wood burner.
I've got a 70cm span opened up which is propped up at the moment. The brickwork above has showed no movement and is very solid.
I've got a steel angle lintel to go in.
I know the proper way to do this would be...
Strip my next course of bricks out. Drop the lintel in (so the L is at the back of the brickwork and not seen)
Is it possible for me to cheat.
And get a grinder... Cut 2 inches into the bricks for the angle to sit into. Then put the L at the front of the brickwork? So it still has the support needed. I just don't know how well the lintel would render. Can anyone suggest a way to render this?
Alternatively.
I was going to see if its possible to cut the lintel to 70cm0(size of opening)
Insert it behind the fire opening. Then support the edges where it meets the brick...

What's your opinions on this? Would either of these work, or would a 7mm flat steel across this span be enough?
Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back