Building up to take the load

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

The wall is a half-brick one.

I've taken the fireplace lintel away, and I'm filling the fireplace opening with brickwork.

The wall is load-bearing.

Given that the fireplace opening was 1.2m high x 0.5m wide my new brickwork therefore has the same dimensions.

Okay, as it happens I'm now left with a 7mm space between the top of my new brickwork and the original brickwork. My new brickwork of course should take the load above it and transfer it to the foundations.

How can I ensure that happens? I'm thinking of simply ensuring the 7mm gap is filled with cement. In other words, not hammering in, say, a metal shim.

It should be noted that the original wall is going to be cut in half, and that cutting point, along the original wall, is the position where the fireplace opening terminated on it's right hand side.

Sponsored Links
Try mixing some damp sand and cement (1:3) and packing it in. Problem is, some will fall out the other side. What would be wrong with a few steel shims gently tapped in, and then pointed-up?

Steel shims and point up is the usual way - when faced with narrower gaps we have in the past gunned in resin which goes off pretty solid!

Sponsored Links
There is new brickwork behind the wall I'm building up to, so I could make a wooden tamper thingy, about 6mm deep and say 50mm wide, and push in/compress the cement against that brickwork.

From what has been said, that would be acceptable.

Or, shimming with steel, also acceptable.

Thanks all for replies. Rich

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back