1930s Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 1930s semi-detached house that used to have a back-boiler/gas fire in the living room fireplace. This has now been removed (in favour of a new combi located in another room), we are now looking at what's left.

Looking directly inside the chimney breast I can now see dark brickwork of the adoining wall (straight ahead, obviously). Inside and to the left I can see what looks like newer red (and far messier) brickwork, to the right I can see the same red brickwork. If I then get inside the chimney breast with my back to the adjoining wall (ie facing back into the living room) I can see more dark brickwork above the gap where the opening where the old fire used to be (ie the same brickwork as the adjoining wall). Hope this makes sense so far.

Now, looking at the red brickwork on the right (as you look into the chimney breast), I can see some of this brickwork is missing and in the gap I can see more dark brickwork behind it (same type as the adjoining wall again). This is the wall that the gas pipe comes through.

My guess here, and I'm hoping someone can validate this is that the dark brickwork is the original house brickwork and the red brick has been added since - probably when the local authority replaced the original fireplace with back boiler we have just ripped out. If I'm right on this, then second point I'm hoping to have validated is whether we should (in theory) be able to remove the red brickwork without affecting the stability of the chimney breast.

I don't want to worry anyone, I'm not about to start knocking bricks out yet, I'm just trying to get an idea of what we now have.

Shaun.

Sponsored Links
Pics would obviously help, however, it was very common for fireplaces to be narrowed for both gas and solid fuel. Subject to pics, I would be very suprised if they couldnt be removed.

Ok, pictures aside (I have taken some pics but couldn't find a way of showing them as part of this post), a question springs to mind of why is it common for 1930s fireplaces to be narrowed. Is this for structural reasons (eg. concrete fatigue) or some other reason?

Shaun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back