Fireplace opening and lintel - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am after a little advice. We had a gas fireplace removed a couple of years ago (one of those old ones fitted as a mantel piece all in one kind of thing). Since then we haven't been able to afford to do anything with the opening and it has been boarded up with some hardboard. The house was build mid 1960s it is a semi-detached. The fireplace was original for coal etc...

I have knocked off the plasterwork off the opening to reveal the brickwork on the chimney breast. I can see that there is a lintel that has been fitted lower down presumably when they fitted the gas fire. The current opening is 65 cm wide and 61cm high.

I was expecting to find a defined lintel higher up the wall but instead found vertical bricks which I assume is the lintel (see pic).

I am just checking that I am able to remove the brick work below and add a new concrete lintel just below the arch is this safe to do so without an acro?

The new opening would have a height of about 80 cm which to me would be more suitable for a gas stove.

Thank you for any advice.

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

• 20160329_143650.jpg
    20160329_143650.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20160329_143650_edit.jpg
    20160329_143650_edit.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 373
Sponsored Links
If you read recent posts on opening up chimney breasts etc. you will get lots of help.
Essentially, you have to work to the gas stove manufacturers instructions and measurements.
Dont do anything until you have the stove instructions.

As for removing bricks and enlarging the opening without an Acrow Strongboy, you should be fine and safe.
If you want belt and braces then use a Strongboy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back