Fireplace opening. Is this Lintel safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently working on an upstairs bedroom, fireplace wall had a piece of chipboard on it, took it off and then started looking for lintel, is this double row of bricks said lintel? And is it safe to take away all that in the middle? I'm not going to use it for a fire, just prefer it open than boarded but I don't want to cause a collapse!
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230105_145008724.jpg
    IMG_20230105_145008724.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Oh is there? Ok I'll take a look,I was worried that it shouldn't come out at all as the skirting looks original and goes all the way along. Thanks.

The arch is your lintel.
What do you intend to do with the fireplace?

Sponsored Links
Nothing, maybe just leave as a hole,plaster up to it and put a beam across, rather than just a blank fireplace wall.

Wirebrush any soot in the fireplace after removing the infill and have the flue swept.
Check that there is a ventilating flue outlet on the stack - you need thro ventilation in the abandoned flue.

Why do I need to do that if I'm not using it for a fire? There is electric cables coming out if it so think it was electric fire before?

Previous to any elec fire there could have been a solid fuel fire?
When you open it up a bit more its usual for sooty firebacks and flues to be revealed.
Abandoned flues need sweeping and thro ventilating because in time chemicals could appear on the decorated wall surface.

Trace & test any elec cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back