Fireplace surround rendering - how to create a thick render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a cast iron fire surround but the opening is wider than mouth of fireplace. It's also further forward than the stone. So basically looking from front you can see exposed stone down the sides and the brick lintel which are both set back about 2.5 inches from the front of the cast iron. I think the surround is missing an inner piece which had a grate in the middle and tiles up the sides, which is why it's not meeting the stonework.

I would like to join/fillet between the cast iron and stone, using small gauge steel mesh to form the shape i need, pressing the mix into it, then apply a finer mix to finish it off.

Is this a good idea? Or is there a better solution, to do the job without it cracking and falling off?

The fireplace will be used by a multi-fuel burner so i am worried about the heat cracking the concrete and it falling out.

Very much appreciate thoughts and suggestions ,

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back