Fireplace - what to do with it?

X

xeres

Hi everyone.

New to the forum but been a long time lurker soaking up all the helpful advice and pointers in here...

Currently doing an extensive renovation of my flat in an Edwardian property in Herne Hill, London. We have ripped out the old back-burner and fitted a new combi system on the wall but I am left pondering what to do with the fireplace void left behind. The metal flue is still in situ - can this be reused if we want to fit a gas fire? The flue's from the flat above and below also wind through the chimney breast. We're in London's 'smoke free zone' so wood burner or some such is out of the question.

Void dimensions: 800m (W) x 300m (D) x 750m (H).

Another option is to get a hold of a second hand period fireplace and surround and fit this but not fully connect it - have it only for show. One thing to note however is that we have plastered all the walls so doing such a surround I would assume would require hacking back the plaster to brickwork and re-plastering one in. Not an issue really but would need to factor plastering costs if pursuing this.

I need to highlight that cost is an issue here and in total, I don't really want to be spending much more than £500-700 on this although can go a little higher for something special that works.

Another issue is size - how do can I size in comparison to the room? The flat is quite small - one bedroom, small bathroom and open plan kitchen/lounge (where the fireplace is). Dimensions of the room as follows:

4.3m (W) x 5.3m (L) x 2.7m (Ceiling Height)

Any help, guidance or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Best

X

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone.

do with the fireplace void left behind. The metal flue is still in situ - can this be reused if we want to fit a gas fire?
Void dimensions: 800m (W) x 300m (D) x 750m (H).

Another option is to get a hold of a second hand period fireplace and surround and fit this but not fully connect it - have it only for show. X
Welcome to diy not :D You can`t use the flue liner for anything . But the idea of a period fireplace and surround is a good one - a cast iron fire with a flue flap would be spot on for the period , and with the flap closed you won`t see behind into the old flue void - then a wooden surround would be pukka too . Reclamation yards are the place to find these things - But ones out of London . ie Sussex and Kent - or you`ll pay through the nose . Try eBay too ;) Plastering won`t be a problem because it will only be a decorative feature so it`ll just sit there with the wood surround fixed to the wall .

Hi there

Thanks for the warm welcome and input. What your describing sounds simple enough, including plastering it in myself. Seeing as its not gonna be used for owt, just plaster bond it to the wall, caulk in the gap and fit a wood surround?

TO confirm, I assume all flues are indivudually made per fire? Why is the single lines flue not able to be reused?

Thanks again,

X

Sponsored Links
The old gas flue liner was only useable for the back boiler that was fitted . There are so many regs surrounding gas appliances - and rightly so due to safety - that if you did fit a new appliance , the liner would be condemned anyway . Also a feature gas fire is probably one of the most inefficient forms of heating - and requires a hole to an outside wall for ventilation . I used to gas back boilers and other types, and central heating - but gave it up way back when CORGI first came in . There are lots of Registered Gas Installers on the plumbing forum if you did want to get an up to date technical opinion ;) . Yes , all the flues in the property are individually run up through the breast in each storey so you get your fireplace in the middle and each side is a flue from another level for example . . I just had a look on eBay and there are quite a few that would be in your budget including courier delivery :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back