Rendering the inside of the fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've read a few threads on here as well as a few other places and have an idea of what I want to do, just looking for someone to sense check my approach.

I need to render the inside of my fireplace, to reduce the opening by 80-100mm ie 40-50mm each side. Odd to make is smaller but here is why;

• We're having an inset burner fitted which requires an opening of x
  • As we need an opening of x, we will be fitting a new fire surround, with the slips sized to give the correct size of opening.
  • Currently the fireplace is something like 150mm wider than x and what I'm concerned about is the slips for the fireplace having nothing but air behind them.

The render doesn't have to be pretty as with the inset burner you won't see it. I was planning on using 5:1:1 Sand, cement, lime as per previous threads I've read and making sure the walls are very well damped down before I start.

Am I right that i'd do better to apply this in two coats rather than one, as 50mm in one hit may be too thick?

Once I'm done the chimney breast will be be skimmed by a professional plasterer, along with the ceiling and then the fireplace and fire professionally installed. I don't really want to bring a plasterer in to render the inside of the fireplace that doesn't need to look good when I know that they will then need to let that go off before they can do the chimney breast so I'll end up having them in for multiple days for what should be an easy task for me.

Many thanks in advance.

I'll get a picture up of the fireplace shortly.

Sponsored Links
Fireplace picture......

Fireplace.jpg

33 views and nothing to say.

Gonna run through it with my plasterer when he comes to look at the rest of the room.

Why don't you buy some thermalite blocks and cut them to the size you want and line the chimney with them ! I would think that the "Therms" should take the heat generated by your burner, You could throw a wet mix on the back of the therms and that should key it to your blocks ,,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back