First fix installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

my wife and I are having a new kitchen put in, and we've asked an electrician to come and install a new cooker connection, and some new plug sockets.

He's talking about a first fix where he gets the cables in place. Currently we're in the position of having stripped back all plaster to brick (we've had a damp proof course put in, and the surveyor suggested removing all plaster/render on the inside) - and we're due to have steels installed and insulated plasterboard on top.

Currently we have bare brick and no steels - will this be ok for the first fix to go ahead?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes he/she can, its rather up to him/her

Although I would wait for the steels to go in - iron wranglers don't give a monkey's about being careful so the new cables may get damaged.

PS Will he need to upgrade your consumer unit to allow the new work to comply with the latest regulations?

Hi,

thanks for the quick response!

Yep, a new consumer unit is also planned.

Its my wifes uncle that's installing the steels, and he's very careful, esp if I tell him their live :evil:

Thanks
Tony

If it were me and i had sockets ect on the plasterboard wall (which im guessing is raised from the brick with the steels) id wire everything to where its going to be leaving plenty of length on cables and then once the boarders have finished cut my boxes in (faster fix) and pull all cables through the PB.

Thats if there is a big enough gap behind the PB to fit faster fix boxes.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I think the steels that are being installed on 3 of the 4 walls are 50mm, if I remember correctly, so I would imaginge (with my limited knowledge) that there should be plenty of space! On the other wall, I think we're having timber studs, so they may be a little tighter.

Thanks
Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back