Fitting a kitchen sink - cutting out the drainer area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm going to be replacing the worktops & kitchen sink in the kitchen
sometime shortly, I have worktops coming soon (40mm) and just got a cheap sink from B&Q.

What I am wondering is do I really need to cut out all the drainer area for the kitchen sink, weakening the whole area so it cannot take heavy weight (if needs be) etc?

I'm wondering if I cutout the bowl and use my router to cut a channel
and clip recesses, perhaps reduce the top surface by 1/4" (or however much is needed) to still provide a large amount of wood & strength to the worktop under the drainer.

The cheap sinks (in fact the expensive ones too) are very weak in the worktop area and when it's in front of the window it makes it hard to stand on when doing anything like painting etc.

I realise its going to be more work than just using a jigsaw, but what the heck - I have the time :)

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could do as you suggest, though have never seen it done.

The worktop is only weak while you move it, once in situ both front and back are supported by the base unit, which gives it its strength.

like wise i too have never seen this done.i would think this way you would need to add gravy? YOUR MAKING A MEAL OF IT. ;)
also bear in mind iirc the actuall drainer is lower then the worktop itself?

Sponsored Links
.....Any water passing the seal around the edge will be trapped between the sink and worktop, where the large area of exposed 'grain' will soak it up like a sponge.... And by the time you've drilled holes /cut slots to get at the fixing clips, there will be hardly anything left in the middle anyway.

:idea: If you want to stand on the worktop, keep the bit you cut out to use like a scaffold board :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back