Fitting a shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post, i wish to install a shower myself, i'm pretty good with basic electrics, so im not worried about frying myself :p

i have a list hope someone can tell me if anything is wrong, and i'll explain the setup later.

5m 10mm t & e cable
40A MCB
2m 15mm piping
45 amp double pole pull cord/switch
isolation valve

The one thing im worried about is the MCB i wanted a 45A but cannot seem to find 45A for my CU.

I'm getting a decent 9.5kw electric shower
the CU is literally below the shower in a cupboard in kitchen (approx 3m from shower location on wall)
the pipe for connection is directly in the wall where i intend to fit the shower (so approx <1m)
the CU i have is Wilex nhrs6606 (12 Way Unit with 100A switch & 80A 30mA RCD)
i dont use electric from cooker's 32A MCB in RCB section, but also have spare space in RCB too.

is the 40A sufficient? its either 40A or 50A but the cable is approx 3m run, so i'm guessing 50A is too much with a 10mm cable also.

thanks

edit: i actually just checked the manufacturers website and it states:
9.5kW – (40A MCB rating) i'd still prefer a 45amp though, what other mcb will fit this cu?

so i guess the list is correct right?

Sponsored Links
You missed out hire or buy.
Earth loop impedance meter
RCD test meter
Insulation tester and low ohm meter
Registration with LABC with their fee.
Forms to submit to LABC these can be down loaded.
To complete above I would allow at least £200 are you sure it is really worth doing it DIY?

Sponsored Links
This is an ideal job for you to get an electrician in, and work with him to lower your final figure.

I.e running cables and pipework (under supervision), and letting him do the final connections and testing etc.

You cannot expect any electrician to certify your work once its buried in the wall completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back