Fitting a upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched for this but with no luck.

I am replacing an old metal framed window in the garage with a upvc one.

I have got the sill, am i right in thinking that you screw the sill in first then place the window on top of the sill and screw through both into the brickwork?

Also what screws do i need, i have seen them use the blue coated srews which seem to screw right into the concreate is this right?

Also any other tips will be most appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
deefadog said:
I have got the sill, am i right in thinking that you screw the sill in first then place the window on top of the sill and screw through both into the brickwork?
No the sill is bedded on mortar and use the fixing on the side only
deefadog said:
Also what screws do i need, i have seen them use the blue coated srews which seem to screw right into the concreate is this right?
Window Anchor, see here

Thanks very much!

So just to clarify - So I cement the sill in place and just place the window on top and just secure the window on both sides not the bottom or top?

I thoght they weer th screws i needed :) What are those blue coated screws i have seen being used? very wide thread on them!

deefadog said:
So just to clarify - So I cement the sill in place and just place the window on top and just secure the window on both sides not the bottom or top?
That's correct and make the mortar thicker and not running
deefadog said:
I thoght they weer th screws i needed :) What are those blue coated screws i have seen being used? very wide thread on them!
Can you show us the link?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i don't have a link, it just what i remember the installers using at my inlaws house! I suppose they look alot like decking screws but are blue/puple colour???

Is there a reason i should not secure the window at the top and bottom?

deefadog said:
Is there a reason i should not secure the window at the top and bottom?
You can in theory go through the bottom sill on window but not door frame but I don't because there's normally dpc under the sill and damage that will give you rising damp. The top will be a problem if you hit the lintel and if the pointings on the outside is bad the driving rain will find it way to the screws then leaks inside.
Sorry i don't have a link, it just what i remember the installers using at my inlaws house! I suppose they look alot like decking screws but are blue/puple colour???
Is it this one?
If so they are called concrete screws in which the screws self-tap into the predrilled hole.

Of course! i understand now about the damp proof and lintel! :) That would have been silly of me :)

just Silcon up the gaps with suitable sealant, yes?

I don't think that's the screw! I knew i should have asked them :) o well!!

Good tip!

Thanks masona for your help on this, very much appreciated!

Take care

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back