Fitting an extractor fan in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I intend fitting a new extractor fan in my bathroom. It will probably be fitted in the ceiling with ducting taking it outside.

Can someone please provide guidance on how extractors are wired (i.e are they on a timer etc and what circuit are they fed from).

If possible a solution for wiring it where the work is not notifiable would be preferable. My house is currently completely signed off.

Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
the way it's wired depends on your choice of fan.
you can get them with over-run timers or not..
you can also get humidity controlled ones and PIR controlled ones.

the non-timer ones just need a switched live and neutral ( and earth maybe depending on whether it's class II or not.. ).
these are normally taken from the light in the room as it's the most convenient place to get a switched live and neutral from.

if it's a timer one, then it needs a permanent live in addition to the switched live and neutral ( and earth )..
again this is normally taken from the light, but depending on your wiring method you may not have a permanent live at the light.. many new houses are wired as "loop in at switch" where the live feeds are taken to the switches and only the switched live and neutral taken to the light.
if your house is wired like this there will be only one cable in the light.
In this case you can take the fan wiring to the switch as the needed connections will be in there.

View media item 13602A ceiling rose in new colours..
( for old colours, substitute red for brown, and black for blue..)

the lamp would connect to 1 and 8..
to connect a fan without a timer, you take a live from 3, 4 or 5, and a neutral from 6 or 7 using T+E cable. ( + earth from the earth terminal. )

for a fan WITH a timer, you do as above, but take a switched live from 2 as well, and you use 3C+E cable..

there should be a fan isolator switch near the fan for maintainence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back