Fitting electric shower over bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving the electric shower from on end of the room to the other so obviously I need to move the 15mm copper pipe. I'm going to route it under the floor and up the wall at the other end. The wall is an exterior wall - what is the best method of making a channel in the wall for the pipe to go in before plastering over? Are there any rule/regs I should be aware of concerning depth of pipe etc?

Also have a similare question about the electric cable for it but will post in the electric section.

Thanks, James. :)

Sponsored Links
channel it up from the floor or down from the loft (if you have mains water up there)
depth wise just chase out about 30 mm deep and 30 wide (so u can screw in the saddle clips)
wrap the pipe in summit so it dont corrode. plaster over it.
try and have the pipe come or or down in the straight vertical line so folk can (and u) guess where it is for when u want to screw stuff on the wall...ie shower rail..soap holder..picture of the missus etc

Thanks JPC.

Any suggestions as to what to wrap pipe in? Presumably a plumbers merchant would sell the correct stuff??

Thanks again, James.

you can get circular cross section flexible plastic conduit for this job, it can be plastered over.

The danger is that if the pipe freezes one winter it could burst and leak into the wall causing a lot of damage, I've seen this happen a few times in the past.

If you put the pipe in conduit from the point it enters the wall, if it leaks it won't soak into the wall, just the ceiling of the room downstairs and will be noticed quickly.

If you use plastic pipe instead of copper, it won't burst even if it freezes.

Sponsored Links
Don't bury plastic pipe straight in plaster - it'll move a lot when it gets hot, which can crack plaster or pull joints apart. 15mm copper with 22mm plastic over it works well - holds itself in the wall if the chase is tight.

The proper protective tape for direct application is gooey "Denso" tape. Short exposed pieces can be protected with pvc tape though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back