Fitting laminate around door threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of guidance here; I'm about to fit some Quickstep laminate flooring in my living room. Originally I intended to pull up skirting etc, lay floor and refit with new skirting but time won't allow that now. I'll have to use edging/scotia instead.

I have some double doors from my dining room leading into the living room with a wooden threshold and I'm not sure how I go about fitting the laminate around this? I have attached a few photos to help describe what I mean...

Do I need to fit the edging around this also (I think that might look a bit weird) or is there a way to butt up against it?

I don't really want to replace the threshold as it has the catches for the door looks and it looks to be build in fairly well too.

Any help that anybody has would be greatly received!

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• Threshold 3.jpg
    Threshold 3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Threshold 2.jpg
    Threshold 2.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Threshold 1.jpg
    Threshold 1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
Tricky without removing it. Laminate flooring should have a small expansion gap around the edge, hence removing skirting or adding edging strips to hide it. The purpose made door thresholds for laminate or wooden floors also take this into account.

I think to make this look ok you'll have to remove that door bar, fit your laminate then get a new one to cover the expansion gap and house your door catch. Do you really need that catch at the bottom? Is there one at the top that would suffice?

Cheers for the reply.

I took your advice, managed to remove the threshold completely. I then had the idea to rebate out the lower part of the threshold to create room for expansion where the floor can sit under. Hopefully this will work.

Sponsored Links
Quickstep make incizo Doortrims which can be used 5 ways. Get one of them and that will sort it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back