Fitting lounge carpet with Bifold window with low threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

my lounge has Bifold window out to the garden. The internal threshold (lip/step?) over the BiFold is about 15/16mm once the old laminate was removed. I would ideally like to install carpet instead but it was mentioned that the Bifold threshold might be a concern as it is fairly low.

There is a step down a few inches on the outside.

So will this give me a problem as I assume as well as carpet and it's thickness I would need an underlay as well ?

I suppose one option would be to have a Amtico type floor layed close to the bifold but a few feet in butt this to carpet ? This would solve the old out of the garden with muddy feet issue I suppose.

Thoughts

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Carpet does not sound suitable for that location if it gives access to garden .?
You could fit a coir mat full width of the door but no guarantee it will clean enough off footwear unless it’s removed .

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm planning on building a slightly raised patio platform outside which i intend to be able to wipe my feet on a matt there before entering the lounge. Its actually a new bit of lounge as I expended out about 4ft as part of a full width extension. My main concern is the height of the internal BiFold threshold lip rather than issues with dirt. Basically is it too low to fit a carpet.

Maybe there are transition strips to allow a transition from a slightly low threshold and up to the height of a normal carpet.

Last edited:
What's the floor made from?
If it's concrete then maybe remove some screed and reprofile to drop the floor over maybe 300mm ?

Sponsored Links
How wide a gap would you need between the bifold and a carpet if height is an issue?

Companies like Gradus do a range of high quality brushed alluminium profiles that might be able to be adapted to fit the carpet into. These may give you the clearance you need adjacent to the strip and aesthetically lok in keeping with the bi-folds?

Thanks for that I'll check out their stuff. If I could get an alloy strip maybe a inch or two wide which angled up to the carpet that would be ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back