Wood floor to carpet indecision...

gjh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently laid a floating solid wood floor in my hallway and dining room, both these rooms have doorways leading onto the lounge. Currently the lounge has no floor covering, its just stripped back to the concrete floor.

Obviously there is a fairly big difference in levels between the real wood floor and the concrete floor, around 25mm.

I would like to lay carpet on the concrete floor but I'm having troubles deciding what to do. My carpet fitter has advised that a quality underlay and carpet combo will be nearly 25mm anyways - so he's advocating just putting a shim up to the wooden floor in the doorways to bring it up to 25mm then laying the carpet straight onto the concrete. However my concern is that over time as the carpet/underlay is worn, it will compress down to below the height of the wood floor. Obviously there will be a threshold bar covering the join so the height difference wont be obvious, but I just think that it will 'cheapen' the look.

I'm leaning towards rasing the floor to bring the level of the carpet above the wooden floor - to give the impression that the carpet is laid straight onto the wood floor (with the top of the underlay level with the top of the wooden floor).

Having not seen example of either could any carpet/floor fitters share their preferences when laying carpet next to a wood floor.

As for raising the floor, i was just thinking of using 9mm exterior ply straight onto the concrete, with the underlay/carpet straight onto the ply. I imagine I'd need to stick the ply to the concrete with some form of adhesive. Can anyone advise if this is a suitable method and can they enlighten me to the most suitable adhesive to use.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back