Carpet laid over parquet - problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had new polypropylene carpet and underlay laid in our lounge in December on top of parquet which is laid on a concrete floor. Previously there was wool carpet and underlay already there on top of parquet with no problems. Fitters said there was no reason not to lay over parquet, they removed all broken wood blocks and screeded where necessary before fitting carpet.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed carpet bulging in one area, called the fitters in, they said that the parquet is blowing, possibly due to damp. The boss came round last week with damp meter, lifted carpet and found the parquet was damp, said it was not their fault (they didn't test for damp before laying carpet and said they never do that) and that we should contact insurance co. Insurance are sending someone to inspect but said if it's due to faulty damp course we aren't covered. We don't think there are any pipes in the area but as it's a concrete floor we don't know for sure. We have now noticed other areas of the carpet are starting to bulge.

Could it possibly be caused by type of underlay or man made carpet? I read in a previous topic about Cloud 9 underlay causing problems but that problem had been rectified by manufacturers. Don't know name of our underlay, all I can remember is that it was blue on one side! If this turns out to be the cause, who is to blame? Shouldn't the carpet supplier have recommended a different carpet or underlay?

Advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I dont know about the underlay/damp problems altho there are reports of some underlays causing sweating.

Best, or even common, practice is for floorlayers to always, at a minimum, check for damp in the sub-floor or base prior to laying any finish flooring.

How old is the house and the concrete floor?

Does the slab have a membrane (DPM).

Is there any damp in the surrounding walls?

The house was built in approx 1965. We moved there in 2001.

Doubt if there is a membrane.

No damp in surrounding walls.

A 1965 house should have had a membrane (DPM) under the slab. But damp has been found so its possible that its coming thro the floor. Its doubtful that a sweating underlay would raise the parquet, esp. in 6 months.

No matter whats said on here your insurance investigator will have the last word.

Sponsored Links
In uk Ree it was after 1965 a DPM should be under the floor but in a lot of cases it wasn't done. Any house before 1975 I have to check.
I'd say in this case there isn't a DPM under the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back