laminate laid on parque floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could someone help. I have professionally had a laminate floor laid. the floor was laid on top of an old wooden parquet floor. The laminate floor has now raised and when the fitter came to look at it he found that the wooden parquet underneath had come up which was pushing the laminate up. The parquet floor is covered in a white mould type substance and smells. the parquet tiles have come up in one area and the concrete underneath that is fine.

Does anyone know what has caused this???. Is it the underlay that was used ??? because i have had a laminate previously and this didnt happen but the underlay they used was different.!!! The original underlay which was fine was like a fibre tile. The new underlay is like a plastic typ :cry: e on a roll.

I hope that makes sense!!!!????

Help please its a real mess and the fitter has said its not his fault. I'm wondering if he should have known better and not laid on top of the parquet or used different underlay. I have paid over £1000 for his work!!!

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like they have used a dpm underlay over the wooden floor which would make it sweat and then fail. Fibre boards wont do this but any plastic underlay will. You could also have a failed dpm ( but dought this is the problem) A moister test needs to be done on the subfloor to see with a hygrometer test.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Do you know who i ask to do these types of tests and are they expensive????

Would a plastic type underlay cause sweating in the 5 months it has been down, enough to cause the old parquet to lift??? could it really move a floor like that??? I'm worried that it could be sulpher caused by red ash although it shouldnt be because my house was built in 1965 when apparently they stopped doing this, andthe concrete underneath isnt a problem, its not raised.

Regard

any profesional floor layer can do this test. Ring around. If people you speak to dont know what to do then they should not be fitting floors. You could try the 'nicf' website for a master fitter or approved fitter. ( national institute of carpet and floor layers)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Do you know if we lift all the parquet off what we would need to do to the concrete floor underneath??? We are assuming that the floor had sweated and mould grown so we are just going to remove the parquet.

I am then thinking of just putting carpet down.

Any thoughts on this???

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back