Laying laminate over bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed some old parquet flooring in the hallway of my 1960s house and I wish to replace with laminate flooring.

The parquet was fixed with bitumen adhesive. Obviously getting the bitumen up is a pain but it's fairly flat to the concrete. Perhaps raised by 2mm ish in a couple of areas.

I have a dpm sheet that I have laid on top of the bitumen, then 5mm fibreboard underlay and laminate on top. Problem is I can hear the stickyness when stepping on the laminate boards from where the glue/bitumen is sticking to the dpm.

What's the solution to this, could I just lay the fibreboard direct to the concrete using the bitumen as a dpm?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Many thanks, I'd already started and laid the DPM ontop of the bitumen, only laid 3 rows as loads of cuts. But think it just needed a bit of weight as the noise has gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back