Bitumen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks,
I have taken up a laminate floor which was laid on a plastic DPM on top of a bitumen covered concrete floor. The Bitumen is damaged as the DPM was wet on the bitumen side. The floor is quite level.

I would like to float a T&G chipboard floor over Bitumen. What would the best method to achieve this?

Can I put a liquid a liquid DPM over the Bitumen and float T&G chipboard floor over it?

thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
Is/was there parquet originally? Or other tiles? A house from the 50's?

They used to use bitumen as glue rather than damp proof.
Perhaps the DPM was just to stop the bitumen sticking to everything

Is/was there parquet originally? Or other tiles? A house from the 50's?

They used to use bitumen as glue rather than damp proof.
Perhaps the DPM was just to stop the bitumen sticking to everything

Hello, Yes there was parquet originally, I think the house is 1920's

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that my 50's house has a bitumen dpc between the concrete layers plus bitumen as athe parquet glue.

Afaik they used to lay the slab , pain with bitumen, then screed the floor

The parquet in the hall and through lounge plus "Lino tiles" in the kitchen were stuck down with bitumen as well. So my suggestion would be to investigate /consider that just filling in the patches and covering the floor with a thin non stick memberane may be the solution?

Not a builder or flooring expert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back