Engineered wood over parqet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have some engineered wood floor to put down over a 1960's parquet floor. Not sure on if I need a DPM or not? The parquet is stuck down with Bitumen so my thought is that would provide a barrier?

The parquet is solid but just showing its age and as much as I would like to restore it, it's going to take far too much effort (to much effort to remove the bitumen) and it's a bit dark and gappy.

I was going to use these underlay boards from screwfix
http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-premier-wood-laminate-underlay-boards-5mm-9-76m-green/68038
but as they are more of a 'hard' foam than a fibreboard I'm not sure if that is providing a barrier. Would fibreboard be better?

After a fair bit of time on google I am unable to find a solid answer to my question, any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There won't be a damp proof membrane under the old parquet but if solid you might get away with it. All depends on your water table.
If you go over you take a gamble.
You could take them up and put down a liquid DPM. But depends if you want to go that length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back