parquet floor removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have finger style wood parquet on or solid ground floor. It's glued down with some black stuff. If I wanted to pull up the old parquet and replace with say floor tiles, would I have a problem with the black stuff, which I guess is a bitumen type glue?

Sponsored Links
On reflection, I could be wrong about the bitumen glue. It's certainly black/brown, but it's sort of semi-transparent in the thinner areas. To my untrained eye it looks more like brown evostick....

It is usually stuck with a bitumen type product which softens when heated so I would think a hot air gun with scraper would be the tools of choice for lifting the parquet. If you then let the bitumen go cold it will chip off with the scraper, just leaving small amounts of residue which should not affect the adhesion of your new flooring.

Glue needs grinding off if putting a screeding compound on it.
You could float a floor over it.
You could need a moisture test depending what covering you put down

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back