Sub floor

Sponsored Links
Maybe but at 18 quid you can get some hardboard yourself or thin ply and cut to size and tack it down as necessary. Then you'll have enough left over for a pint.
That stuff is more for cushioning than covering holes and gaps. If you have a slop or differing heights even overlaying it won't sort it completely.

Cheers. The room is 9ft by 7ft 8 I've been getting quotes ranging from £100-£200 I wouldn't even know how much I'd need to buy

Standard sheet is 8 foot by 4 so just over 2 sheets. If you go to wickes or b&q they'd cut it for you to get it in your car.

Sponsored Links
That's a laminate underlay. You can't use that for vinyl. Put 6mm plywood down. Costs about £15 per 3m2 sheet

You may find the 4x2 sheets easier to handle, and you'll want 20mm ring shank nails to fit the boards down with. Nailt at every 6" in a square pattern, and that'll hold the boards down nicely. Lino is normally glued down at the edges, but the screwfix boards you were looling at can't be fixed down, and wouldn't take the glue either.

Well, hardboard is 3mm, but I suspect 4mm plywood may be too thin. Hardboard is more flexible, so unless you've got serious problems with the floor, I'd go with the harboard, but if there is problems with the floor, then yu'll need at least 6mm ply.

4mm ply is very suitable for covering the gaps between floorboards, which would otherwise cause wear lines on the vinyl or other floor covering.

It does not sag or bubble like hardboard can

when cutting it to fit, make all your cuts round the outside of the room, so that the factory edges, which will be perfectly true, straight and square, butt together with no visible seam.

You can use giant staples or carpet tacks. It won't need many.

Thanks the room is 9ft by 7ft 8 how many 8x4 sheets would I need do you reckon? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 75
Are yu going to take the toilet and wash basin out; you'll get a much better job if you do.

In theory, you only need 2 sheets, but it'll make for a bit of a patchwork job, and you're going to end up cutting the sheets into smaller sections to get them to fit, if you don't take the bits out first. Looking at the room, I'd still go for 4x2 hardboard.

Went to b and q today and they do 3.5mm hardboard 8x4 they can cut them down. I'm moving the toilet basin and sink yes. Just wondering what I would use to attach them to the floorboards?

20mm ringshank nails. They have serations around them tat stop them creeping out. Tacks etc will come lose over time. Nail them every 6 to 8 inches in a sqaure grid pattern, and you'll be fine. There's school of though which says wet them first, but I never have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back