Are my floorboards damp enough to have to replace?

Sponsored Links
There are no "wet" patches, the boards were bone-dry.

Your initial post in this thread mentions damp floorboards, which you were asking about the need to replace them and buying a damp meter - now you are suggesting they are bone-dry. I'm confused..

The user manual for that tool station damp meter is here, different model number, as given on the toolstation site

https://www.drapertools.com/products/manuals/43618ins.pdf

Has a Wood setting
I have used a different damp meter from amazon, still a cheap tool, BUT i used mainly for comparative measurements and a damp issue we had rather than looking at the absolute number it produced. And having resolved a potential damp issue I monitored over 3 months to see if the numbers changed.
Same thing with son-in-law , and we found a small leak in the shower tray, as we were able to see the readings increase, along an ajoining wall and skirting, were it looked like the water was coming in from a different source.

Your initial post in this thread mentions damp floorboards, which you were asking about the need to replace them and buying a damp meter - now you are suggesting they are bone-dry. I'm confused..
Yes, they seem damp (but they are not damp to the touch)

I apologise if I am using incorrect terminology. They look like they do in the pictures but they are dry to the touch. Maybe the word to be used is "stained"?

Sponsored Links
The user manual for that tool station damp meter is here, different model number, as given on the toolstation site

https://www.drapertools.com/products/manuals/43618ins.pdf

Has a Wood setting

It gives no clues about the % values to expect, but a good place to start is by testing a known to be dry section of wood which has been indoors for a few years, as a reference. Then any reading higher than that suggests moisture. I think generally is should be around 15 to 20% for dry wood.

I make good use of my damp meter, in my utility room in winter. I have a fan, dehumidifier and washing lines rigged up for clothes drying and it is always chilly in there - difficult to tell whether clothes are just cold or still damp. The meter instantly confirms which :)

A meter will only detect moisture in timber , on a wall it detects condensation as it’s not capable of penetrating the plaster .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back