How to lay engineered wood parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some engineered wood parquet flooring. The blocks are 470x70mm and are tongue and groove.

Most people seem to think that parquet floors should be bonded to the layer below. However, most laminate floors are laid floating. I do not know why this is but I imagine it is because the parquet blocks are quite small and more likely to move than laminate. When laying floating laminate it seems preferable to lay an underlay so that the floor is cushioned and absorbs noise.

We have old wooden floorboards and I plan to lay hardboard on top and then fix the parquet to the hardboard with adhesive such as Sikaflex T54. I was planning to fix the hardboard down with nails or ring shank nails to the floorboards. But if I do this I won't be able to fit underlay because the hardboard won't be able to compress or the nails will push up the blocks.

Can I fit underlay somehow ? Am i doing the right thing nailing down hardboard and gluing the parquet blocks to the hardboard?

Thanks for help!

Sponsored Links
Most people seem to think that parquet floors should be bonded to the layer below. However, most laminate floors are laid floating.
Because there is quite a difference between parquet floors and laminate floors most people know - not seem to think - you should fully bond the first to prevent an unstable and moving floor. You can't compare the two.

Your sika adhesive will act as a sound cushion anyway, so stick to your plan and forget about underlayment.

That's good news. Thank you for your reply WoodYouLike.

I have a couple more questions.

1) I have seen on the web that the hardboard should be laid with a small gap between sheets to allow for expansion. I know a 10mm gap should be left around the edge of the room next to the the walls, but is this correct that I should leave gaps between the edges of the hardboard sheets too?

2) I have seen that the hardboard should be nailed down every 4-6 inches around the edge and similarly across the sheet. Would you advise this across the the sheet?

3) I have purchased lots of sheets of 8ft x4ft hardboard. I wonder if I should have purchased smaller sheets or cut these down to leave more expansion gaps.

4) As I am gluing the blocks down, do I need to put a cork strip between the edge of the parquet and the walls ?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
1) leave a gap between the sheets of "credit card" thickness

2) yes

3) best is to use smaller sheets

4) NEVER USE CORK to fill your expansion gap! Leave it open so the wood can expand in to it if and when needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back